|Bellingham Shipyard Company, September 1955.|
Several ships built at this yard are tied up at the piers.
Click to enlarge.
Photo from Barr's Camera Shop in the
Collection of the S. P. H. S.©
Its main purpose at this time was building mine sweepers for the Navy and foreign nations participating in the mutual defense assistance program.
But it also had a large lamination plant, made pleasure craft, and a wide variety of plastic products. It also had a cold-storage plant for fruits and vegetables brought in from surrounding agricultural areas.
At the time of this photo, the yard had another year to go on its mine-sweeper program and soon would begin another $3,000,000 contract for the Navy.
Text published by The Seattle Times, 25 September 1955.